St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception
Construction on the church began 2 January 1858, primarily through the efforts of Father Timothy Bermingham, a native of Ireland. Granite from a local quarry was used and Irish stonemasons were brought from Europe to carve the stone of St. Mary’s walls.
It was designed by Mr. John Rudolph Niernsie the architect of the State House in Columbia. Wide hand-planed boards put together with wooden pegs form the front doors with the original lock. The choir loft in the rear of the church is underpinned by the original hand wrought iron supports, and is centered by the original organ. The pipe organ was designed for bellows and built by Charleston craftsman, John Baker. The altars were imported from Italy. St. Mary’s Catholic Church cemetery, located behind the church, holds about 100 graves. Among those buried here are Capt. Michael Anton Markert, an Austrian born architect who designed several Victorian houses in Edgefield County and assisted the choir at the church, and a number of Confederate soldiers.
302 Jeter Street
Edgefield, SC 29824