Historic Sites


Carnoosie Antiques (The Sheppard House) Shopping DistrictHistoric Sites

Carnoosie is built on one of Edgefield’s high hills and is the town’s finest example of Italianate Victorian style.  It was the home of Edgefield’s only father and son who were governor and lieutenant-governor John Calhoun Sheppard and James Orlando Sheppard. 

Read More


Categories: Shopping District, Historic Sites
Courthouse Square Historic Sites

The Courthouse Square is the heart of downtown Edgefield and has changed little in function or overall appearance and charm in over 225 years.

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites
Discovery Center MuseumsHistory Research & Visitor InformationHistoric Sites

This historic building, once the home of Captain James Miller, was built in ca. 1840. It was moved to its present location in the 1990s and was transformed into a museum with state-of-the-art exhibits detailing Edgefield County's diverse history.

Read More


Categories: Museums, History Research & Visitor Information, Historic Sites
Edgefield County Courthouse Historic Sites

The centerpiece of the Courthouse Square is the Edgefield County Courthouse.The site of the courthouse for Edgefield County was first chosen in 1785 when the County of Edgefield was established. 

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites
Edgefield First Baptist Church Historic Sites

It was first known as the Edgefield Village Baptist Church and the first service in the new church was held on Saturday, 19 April 1823.

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites
Edgefield United Methodist Church Historic Sites

Edgefield Methodism is probably as old as Edgefield. Circuit riders conducted services at Edgefield Court House in the late 1790s. The first Edgefield Methodist Church was at Pottersville, one mile north of the present town limits.

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites
Furman University Monument Historic Sites

In 1826, Furman University (one of South Carolina's most selective private universities) began right here as a Men's Academy and Theological Institute. Furman relocated to Greenville in 1850, and a small monument stands testament to their Edgefield roots. 

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites
Groundhog Kiln Historic SitesArtisan Community

As a continuation of the local pottery tradition, the Doctor Arthur and Esther Goldberg Groundhog Kiln was built in 2011. It is a traditional wood-burning kiln similar to those used over 200 years ago in this area. 

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites, Artisan Community
Halcyon Grove Historic Sites

Still a private residence today, Halcyon Grove was built in 1815 and was most notably occupied by Andrew Pickens, Jr. (one of our Ten Governors). Architectural features include hidden doors, beautiful feather-painted wainscoting, lattice columns and the double-tiered piazza (to name just a few).

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites
Horn Creek Baptist Church Historic Sites

Horn Creek is one of the oldest Baptist churches in the "Backcountry" of South Carolina. Built in 1790, it is a rare example of the one-room meeting style church that reflects the simplicity and frugality of early settlers. 

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites
Macedonia Baptist Church Historic Sites

This church was built in 1901, but was formed in the years right after the Civil War. There is a cemetery directly behind the building.

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites
Magnolia Dale Historic Sites

This home was built on the site of the first residence in Edgefield, dating from approximately 1762. The present house was built, circa 1843. In 1873, Alfred J. Norris, a prominent Edgefield lawyer and businessman purchased the property. In 1875 his daughter, Mamie Norris, was born here. She later married James Hammond Tillman who became Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina.

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites
Oakley Park (Red Shirt Shrine & Museum) Historic SitesMuseums

Oakley Park was built in 1835 by Daniel Bird, a Virginian who came to Edgefield and became a very successful cotton planter. After the War Between the States, it was purchased by General Martin Witherspoon Gary, a former Major-General of the Confederacy.

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites, Museums
St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception Historic Sites

Construction on the church began 2 January 1858, primarily through the efforts of Father Timothy Bermingham, a native of Ireland. Granite from a local quarry was used and  Irish stonemasons were brought from Europe to carve the stone of St. Mary’s walls. 

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites
The Edgefield Advertiser Historic Sites

Established in 1836, The Edgefield Advertiser is the longest continuing newspaper in South Carolina.  Make sure you drop by to say hello and you just might find yourself in next week’s edition!

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites
The History Wall Historic Sites

Located along Courthouse Square (on the opposite corner across from the Courthouse), the History Wall details Edgefield history from local Native American tribes to the 21st century on informational panels. *Geocache Location  

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites
Trinity Episcopal Historic Sites

It is the oldest church building now standing in the town of Edgefield and perhaps the oldest brick building in the area. Trinity Episcopal Church was built on land deeded by Edmund B. Bacon to the Wardens and Vestrymen on September 15, 1835 and the building was completed in 1836.

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites
Willowbrook Cemetery Historic Sites

Willowbrook Cemetery is the second most historic cemetery in South Carolina, and is overflowing with “residents” who carved their place in local, state, and national history. The oldest marked grave in Willowbrook belongs to Pierre LaBorde who was a native of France and died in 1820, aged about 50 years.

Read More


Categories: Historic Sites

Explore Edgefield...

geocaching visitors-guide

christmas-parade