Oakley Park (Red Shirt Shrine & Museum)
Oakley Park was built in 1835 by Daniel Bird, a Virginian who came to Edgefield and became a very successful cotton planter. After the War Between the States, it was purchased by General Martin Witherspoon Gary, a former Major-General of the Confederacy.
Oakley Park was used as his headquarters in 1876 when he was the leader of the Red Shirt movement, a campaign to restore Democratic government to South Carolina. This group was called the Red Shirts because they dyed their shirts red and then marched in the streets of many South Carolina towns to show their support for Wade Hampton. In 1941, Governor John Gary Evans, who was the nephew of Gary and had inherited the property, gave it to the Town of Edgefield and the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Items in the house include period antiques and relics. Today, Oakley Park is a house museum and is open to the public.
300 Columbia Road
Edgefield, SC 29824